Thursday, April 15, 2010

Comfort Zones

Hello loved ones who follow my cancer roller coaster journey:
Today I met the 2nd opinion oncologist, Dr. K, at Walnut Creek Kaiser. She confirmed and explained the low OncotypeDX score and how chemotherapy will NOT decrease chances of a reoccurence, so NO chemo for me...Yeah!! My ship has come in! My luck has turned around! Let's go to the races!
However, her concern, as was mine, are the close margins around the lumpectomy. The pathology report says "infiltrating carcinoma found within 1 mm of the medial margin and DCIS is present within 1 mm of the lateral margin." I was always trouble by the word "within." My Dr. friend had told me that margin depth is a big source of discussion and controversy in the breast cancer field and my oncologist Dr. T said she is comfortable with the "within 1". Dr. K prefers a 2 mm margin and is going to talk to my surgeon, Dr. O'N to find out if there is any more margin to be had. The medial margin is the center line, and where the tumors was taken out along my chest wall and skin, there is no more tissue to get. But maybe on the lateral side there is. We'll see what Dr. O'N says, hopefully by early next week.

Meanwhile, I see Dr. K, the Oakland oncologist tomorrow to learn about Tamoxifen. I am officially still pre-menopausal because my estrogen level is 354 and if post menopausal it would be below 30. My one ovary (unless the other is hiding) is still pumping out loads of estrogen at almost 51. (no wonder I got pregnant at 42) Monday I meet the radiation oncologist to plan that exciting holiday.

However, if a 2nd surgery is recommended, all goes on hold to scoop more out, and as much as I don't want repeat that ride, maybe my future is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment