Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Interesting

Today Leon and I met with my surgeon. The final pathology report is not ready, but she was able to report that there were actually 3 lumps very close to each other and not just 2. The margins around them were negative (really good) and the extra core samples taken from the other side of my breast were negative (also really good) BUT, she had taken 3 lymph nodes from under the arm. One was the sentinel node and the other two had looked swollen. Two of the 3 have errant individual cancer cells. They are not grouped into tumors, so this is good, but still. So I am waiting for the oncologist to call with an appointment to discuss having the Oncotype DX test done (a $3500 test of your cells that rate your improved survival chances over 10 years if you do have chemo) I'll need more info to make that call. Chemo is such a nasty proposition, but then having these cells grow into tumors isn't so appealing either. Radiation is in my future, 5 weeks daily, but that would come after chemo. Dr. O'Neal wants to leave mastectomy as an option as well, depending on what the report says.
So it's not worst case, which is somewhat of a relief, but the net remedy could be just as extreme.

It's paint dance night, but the lack of sleep and new info has whipped me. Dr. said I could dance if I didn't move my arm and wore two sport bras...a little too challenging for me right now. I'll stay home and read my new breast cancer book! I feel loved, and love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment