Monday, March 22, 2010

Confusing

I am anxiously awaiting to meet the oncologist tomorrow, Dr. Thomas, Tues the 23rd at 11am. I received the pathology written report and it's confusing. It turns out I have a mixture of invasive and noninvasive ductal carcinoma. The aggregate size of the three tumors is 3.5 cm.
The margin is close but clear. There were a total of 3 nodes removed and in two of them there were isolated tumor cells. Dr. Thomas will explain what all this means. Not sure if it means the nodes are negative or positive, which determines chemo option. The Chemo option is all about probability and survival statistics. If I have a 1 in 10 chance of having a reoccurence within 5 years (which would not be good for overall life span projection) would I take that chance or not? If I qualify for the Oncotype DX test, how long does that take?
My recovery from the surgery is slow going. Not yet able to dance or swim, feeling bruised and swollen, but any denial that I have cancer is gone. It was hard swimming a mile and believing I had cancer at the same time, but now I get it.

Today I became a mother 15 years ago. It's Aaron birthday. He is a fine young man, handsome and smart, but oh what a daily challenge to keep up with, like him saying he'll be home at 6:30 and then not showing up until 8 with some lame excuse....ummm and him wondering what I'm so uptight about?
love you, Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Love ya sistah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive thoughts for your doctor appt tomorrow 3/23/2010....muchoo love, Sistha Debbie xoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete