Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Sound of My Name

The dance theme last night was hard to wrap my head around,
"our true name" - that name, that sound that is the rhythm of our heart, the flow or our breath, the movement
of the blood in our veins... It is how we show up, it is how we listen to
what has heart and meaning - without judgement and attachment to outcome.
This is where our true name lies...

So I painted the Sound of My Name. I just went with my favorite symbol, my favorite brush, and painted long luxurious strokes. I love the image. It's big and bold. It makes me think of rototiling the earth.

In my last blog I complained about feeling alone, and many people contacted me to remind me that is not true, and I know that. It was a weak moment, one of fear getting the best of me, when I know gratitude is what calms me. After a long swim, (I'm back to swimming a mile, as I did in my 20's, only back then I could do it in 30 minutes, now it takes 45, but I am NOT complaining!) I focused on what is right in my life and after wards I felt fantastic. (thank goddess for endorphins).
Last night, feeling strong and grounded, I had a great dance. I'm beginning to see myself as one of the "elders" there, one of the more "developed" dancers who can drop in deep and move their body into many positions to during different tempos...slow movements with deep breaths to fast movements with limbs and sweat flying! What a practice. There was a young woman there for the 2nd time, maybe she is 25, and she reminded me of my first few times, copying others movements and laughing the whole time as her body moved in new ways. She admired me and said she couldn't keep up! Our movements in daily life are so limited in range. Most, like driving and typing are forward movements. On the dance floor one can move side-ways or backward and build lateral strength, stepping out with wide arms and horizontal legs.
I went to the Dance Performance at Berkeley High and it was fabulous. Fresh music, great choreography, high energy. It was a challenge to stay seated!

No comments:

Post a Comment