Monday, January 7, 2013

the Body Language of Power



I have had a big bosom since I was in high school, and I feel I have lived my whole life with my chest concave, not wanting to draw attention to my bust. Then for years spending hours at a time on the computer, doing dishes, driving around and even breast feeding two babies, I felt like I was caving in on myself, although I didn't realize this until I started dancing over 10 years ago.  That first night at dance I threw my arms back and opened up my chest.  I felt empowered.  I've evolved into a big arm dancer, willingly opening up my carriage to the world.  It turns out this is a position of power and can change your life.  Check out the TED talk on body language by Amy Cuddy. She suggests that taking this power position for 2 minutes before a meeting, will change your chemistry.  Testosterone and Cortisol will increase and you really will be more powerful!


1 comment:

  1. PS. On a whim I emailed Amy Cuddy and offered her the painting of the 4 people hands outstretched. She was delighted and it will hang in her office at Harvard Business School! What a delight!

    ReplyDelete